Heartburn (GERD and acid reflux) is caused by a number of factors. Too much stomach acid is not one of them. Yet most medical doctors prescribe antacids, proton pump inhibitors (Nexium, Prilosec) and the like to reduce stomach acid. While these may reduce the symptom (burning), they do not treat the underlying cause and actually contribute to other health problems (nutrient deficiencies, osteoporosis, cancer). Watch this informative video by Thomas Ballard, RN, ND to learn more.
If you’re suffering from heartburn, gerd or acid reflux, it may be for any of the following reasons:
1. Abnormal bacteria (Helicobacter Pylori and/or yeast (Candida).
2. Poor digestion (Hydrochloric acid and/or digestive enzyme deficiency).
3. Hiatal Hernia (which can be fixed with an adjustment).
4. Weak lower esophageal sphincter.
5. Poor diet and lifestyle choices.
A naturopathic physician or functional medicine practitioner can help you determine which of these may be the cause. Once identified there are natural nutrient and herbal remedies that can help fix the problem and restore proper — and pain free — digestion.
Don’t be fooled by the drug pushers, or any of their fancy ads on television. You do not have too much stomach acid and taking those medications will worsen your health over time.
To your health!